The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

click here to order
the book from Amazon.com

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd
Hamburg, Sussex County

In the Boro of Hamburg on the Hamburg Turnpike sits this former chapel which has been converted to a residence; based on the architectureal elements (buttresses, transept, chancel and lancet (narrow Gothic arch windows), the perceptive viewer will recognize it as Episcopal, who considered the architectural plan a central part of Anglican liturgy.
Snell says the cornerstone of the church was laid in 1872 and the building completed by 1874. The probable reason for the hiatus was the financial Panic of 1873, which affected the region and the entire country for several years, although both Snell and Wood say the reason was a decision after the cornerstone had been laid to build of stone rather than a wood. The Presbyterian church was building a stone church and the inference is that the Anglicans could not be seen to use inferior material.

See Marion E. Wood, All About Hamburg: A History of Hamburg, New Jersey. McAfee, New Jersey: Country Cousin, 1999.



   ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2004 Frank L. Greenagel