The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church
Hackettstown, Warren County



Trinity is a lovely red brick church, typical of upscale late 19th century churches in smaller towns. The large arches with rounded tops mark it as within the Romanesque tradition, as does the contrasting color trim. The tower looks similar to those that graced many a midwestern city hall just before the turn of the century. Trinity was organized in 1832 and this building was erected in 1888.
     The architect was Oscar S. Teale of Plainfield and the building includes an exceptional amphitheatre (the sanctuary) and an Akron Plan auditorium that was undoubtedly design as a Sunday School.
     The congregation's original church, erected in 1832 still exists, although is it now used as a two family duplex.
     The father of Stephen Crane, author of the Red Badge of Courage, was once the minister here.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2002 Frank L. Greenagel