authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Glen Gardner Presbyterian church
Glen Gardner, Hunterdon County
Originally known as Evelyns Tavern as early as 1760, then as
Sodom soon after 1800, the town of Glen Gardner became Clarksville in
1820 with the establishment of a post office. Shortly after the Civil
War the town name was changed to Glen Gardner. The congregation was
organized in 1869, when this building was constructed. It served as
the Masonic Lodge and currently houses a manufacturing operation. It
is one of only three brick churches in the county and had an exceptionally
tall steeple when it was first constructed.