authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Presbyterian Church [original]
Frenchtown, Hunterdon County
the townhall and library, this building on Second Street was the
original Presbyterian church of Frenchtown. It was built a year after
the minister of the Kingwood Presbyterian began conducting occasional
services in a wheelwrights shop in 1844. The frame building
is 24x36 and it originally had a steeple; the bellfry is a later
In 1854 the congregation erected a larger building two blocks north
of this in the Greek revival manner.
small meetinghouse was rather typical, in size and style, of many
in the three decades before the
Methodist and Presbyterian congregations in the west central part
of the state.