authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Frenchtown Methodist Episcopal Church
Frenchtown, Hunterdon County
Founded 1832; built 1844, enlarged 1861
A room in a wheelwrights shop on Bridge street was the first
regular meeting place of the Methodists in Frenchtown--a facility also
used by other congregations. A lot was purchased and the present building
was erected in 1844.. The building was enlarged and a steeple added
in 1861. Elements of this building are borrowed from several architectural
styles: the tracery window above the door is early Colonial, the small
porch over the entryway is typical of Quaker buildings, the pilasters
at the corner come from Greek Revival.