The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Siloam Methodist Episcopal Church
Freehold Township, Monmouth County

In 1860 a church was organized at McIntyre’s Corners, otherwise known as Siloam. Ellis doesn’t identify the denomination or the name of the church other than that, but an 1889 map identifies it as a Methodist church. The cornerstone was laid in 1870 for a building 52 x 30 and it was dedicated in 1871. This residence on Siloam Road fits that description rather well. The fenestration of old two-story schoolhouses were rarely configured like this so the probability is that it was a church. Two maps of 1889 provide contradictory information—one shows a Methodist church and a school where this building is located, but the other shows the buildings further north and on the other side of the road, where a newer Methodist church now stands.

 

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2005 Frank L. Greenagel