authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church
are many interesting details in this substantial Gothic church
which seats 700. The clerestory is covered with slate and the
window surrounds are particularly stylish. It originally had a tall
spire atop the tower, but that was taken down many years ago. The
previous frame church, which seated only 170 was built in 1854, and then enlarged in 1873.
The church and its related buildings
occupy about half a city block, but well away from the center
of town. The likelihood is that mid-century Protestant landowners
would not sell property in a more prominent location to a
Catholic congregation. The architect was Henry Young of Keyport.