The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

First Particular Baptist Church
Franklin Borough, Sussex County

This 1833 building has seen the services of four denominations; It began as a Particular Baptist congregation in 1833, ten years after that congregation was organized. Baptist services ceased in 1853, and the building was used for a year by a Presbyterian congregation. In 1877 the church was opened again by a Dutch Reformed congregation, and in 1919 it was purchased by the Sons of Israel. It is now known as the Temple Shalom, serving an Orthodox and Reform congregation.

   ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2003 Frank L. Greenagel