The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church
Folsom, Atlantic County

 

This is one of the finest old churches in the state, listed on the National Register, of course. The German congregation was organized in 1848 and the church was erected five years later, in 1853. It is now commonly known as the Jacobus Lutheran Church, but that was its name for a relatively short period of its existence (1853-1870). A few years ago there was a plaque high on the steeple saying "Deutsche Zion Reformirte Kirche, 1853" according to one of our readers.
     The basic plan is common, but the craftsmanship of the exterior is remarkable. Each of clapboards has a bead; the gable and the tower are covered with an intricate pattern of wooden shingling.
     About a hundred yards away is another German Lutheran church, St. James, the result of some dissension in the congregation, for it, too, was built in 1853.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2003 Frank L. Greenagel