authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
First Presbyterian Church
Flemington, Hunterdon County
There was a tavern in 1791 where the Civil War monument now stands,
which is why this church, the third on the site, built in 1883, sits
where it does. A number of families, desiring a place of worship both
closer to home and to a place where they might "refresh" themselves
between the morning and afternoon services, withdrew from a congregation
a few miles to the southeast (Reaville) to found this church in 1792.
Seating is amphitheater style, with two
sets of exceptional stained glass windows. Church records establish
that this was one of the few churches in the area to admit blacks to
membership in the early part of the 19th century. Hunterdon had a substantial
black (mostly slave) population well into the 19th century, but no black
church until after the Civil War.