The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Fairmount Methodist Episcopal Church
Tewksbury Township, Hunterdon County

 

Fairmount is not a hamlet but a geographic area, more or less centered on the crossroads where this 1868 church is located. There's another Methodist church a few miles south in Oldwick, one a few miles west in Califon, a Presbyterian church a couple of hundred yards north, and a Reformed church about three miles east in Pottersville, so the area seems to have been well churched. Many of the churches of this period exhibit the Tuscan arch and the inverted V arch in their steeples.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel