authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Englewood, Bergen County
Presbyterian congregation in Bergen County was formed here in 1860,
and they quickly erected a small stone chapel, which still exists.
Eight years later that chapel was taken apart, stone by stone and reassembled
as a chapel at the Brookside Cemetery, a mile or so north of the church.
In its place they built this stone church in the Gothic manner. ____
was engaged as the architect. Only eight years later the congregation
hired J. Cleveland Cady, who had designed several other Presbyterian
churches, to prepare plans for an addition. In 18__, the church was
enlarged again, and this time ___ was the architect. So although the
church is basically in the Gothic idiom, there are touches of the Romanesque
here and there, particularly in the north entrance designed by Cady.