authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Methodist Episcopal Church
Ellisdale, Burlington County
Ellisdale lies on the boundary between Burlington and Monmouth
counties; in fact, the church itself is on the Burlington side of the old
Keith Line that divided East and West Jersey. It was previously known
as Gibbstown, and in 1834 as Shelltown. The congregation was
organized about 1852, but services were held in the area much
earlier. The church was originally under the charge of the Crosswicks
church in the hierarchical governance system used by the early Methodists.
This is a simple meetinghouse plan with
a tower at the corner and an entry vestibule, both of which
were added later—the vestibule and stained glass windows in 1886 and the tower in 1903.