The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Third Presbyterian Church
Elizabeth, Union County



Although this large brick church sits next to City Hall, it is obscured by trees in front and is easy to miss. Teachers at Jefferson School across the street were not even aware of its presence!
     When the First Presbyterian congregation outgrew its building, they formed another a couple of blocks away. Presumably the same thing happened in 1850, when this congregation was organized. The building, kittycorner from the Second Presbyterian church, was erected in 1855, in a traditional style that draws on the Romanesque for many of its architectural details.
     It has been home to the Elizabeth Playhouse for the last several years, and the owners continue to renovate it, although the town fathers apparently preferred to tear it down for a parking lot.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel