The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Saint John's [Episcopal] Church
Elizabeth, Union County



Saint John's was organized in 1706 by a missionary of the Society for Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (SPG). The present building is the third church the site, which sits almost across the street from the earliest church, the First Presbyterian. This Gothic Revival building was erected in 1860 at a cost of $50,000. The interior is a magnificent example of English Gothic architecture.
     

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel