The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. James Memorial Church
Eatontown, Monmouth County

This exceptional small church is somewhat similar in plan to Trinity Church in Matawan, built 16 years earlier. It has the steeply pitched roof, lancet widows and exposed timberwork typical of the Gothic Revival style adopted by Episcopal congregations. The building is 24’ x 52’ and was constructed of rough fieldstone at a cost of 9½ cents a square foot in 1866. The master mason in charge of the project was William H. Shinning, but a building committee was deeply involved and drew up a very specific set of plans.
Episcopal services in the area were initially held in private homes, then in the Masonic Hall as early as 1830, and in the Baptist church since 1863, but the congregation was not formally organized until 1866. Compare this plan to Trinity church in Matawan, designed by Upjohn and erected 16 years earlier. Certainly the building committee was well aware of that church, and may even have purchased plans from Upjohn.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2005 Frank L. Greenagel