The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. John's [Episcopal] Church
Dover, Morris County



The son of one important architect and brother of another was the Rector here in 1861 when the church was built; since the father (Richard Upjohn) had retired by this date, the son (Robert) designed the church in the Gothic Revival style his father had made popular. The building took five years to complete. The congregation was organized in 1849.
     The Gothic Revival style incorporated several design aspects that were liturgically important to the Anglican church, including an east-oriented altar, a south entrance, a dark interior (hence the narrow, lancet windows). The use of rusticated stone, buttresses, a steeply-pitched roof, and the bellcote were other common features, but apparently without liturgical significance.

   ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2002 Frank L. Greenagel