authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Dover Friends Meeting House
near Dover, Randolph Township, Morris County
The Quakers who settled in Dover
were the descendants of immigrants who arrived in Burlington
in the great migration of 1676-80, pushed north into Trenton, then into
Hunterdon county by 1727, and, by 1740, into Morris county. They met
in private homes until 1758 when the Woodbridge meeting (congregation)
granted permission to build a 25 x 26 foot meeting house in Mendham
(which was the name of the area before 1813), at a cost of £78.
It was repaired in 1792 and again in 1828. In the 20th century, a detached
wing was added and horse stalls were built to the rear.
No meetings were held here between 1865
and 1954. The building is currently undergoing restoration.