authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Crystal Street Presbyterian Chapel
Dover, Morris County
On Morris Street just south of Dover lies
this interesting small chapel, built in 1892. It was built by the Presbyterian
church as a mission, succeeding a small Sunday School Chapel that had been erected
a few score yards away a couple of years earlier. It was soon sold to people
who lived in the immediate vicinity as a union chapel. The sign over the door
now proclaims it a "union" place of worship, which meant a building
was shared, often by Methodist, Reformed, Presbyterian and perhaps Lutheran
congregations, which sometimes had a single minister, but often the building
was merely available for any itinerant preacher. Union churches were especially
common in the early part of the nineteenth century, but much less so in the 1890s.
The shape of the gable end, curving the roofline
into the small belfry is a most
unusual feature. The design is identical to the Monroe
Union Chapel, erected
in Whippany two years earlier.