authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Delaware Presbyterian Church
Delaware Station, Warren County
Delaware Station was a refueling stop for the railroads when this church
was built in 1873. The congregation is a daughter of the Presbyterian
church in Knowlton, a half dozen miles
away, which was started in 1775.
The siding is aluminum now, but the steeple
is very fine. The lancet windows are unusually skinny for a Protestant
church, which usually wanted to let in maximum light; they provide a decided
sense of height and of the Gothic tradition.
St. James Episcopal, also in the