First Presbyterian Church
Delanco, Burlington County
Union Avenue & Poplar Street
founded 1872, built 1873
Most churches were organized by a few leaders and a number of people who had not previously affiliated with any church; by the latter part of the nineteenth century about half the population were church members. Here is seems that almost all of the founding members were Presbyterians from other congregations—several from Philadelphia, and other families or individuals from Beverly and Cranbury. This large brick building is a nice late-century variation on the Methodist tradition of following the basic plan and massing of their "mother" church—old St. George's Church in Philadelphia.
The church is described as "a neat frame building, erected in 1873 at a cost of three thousand five hundred dollars." It appears there have been later additions—the tower and a large structure at the rear, presumably for a Sunday school and other meetings.