The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

First Presbyterian Church of Cokesbury
Tewksbury Township, Hunterdon County

In the 1880s a group from the nearby Methodist church split off to form this church. Apparently a contentious lot, they continued to dispute among themselves about the size of the choir loft and who was permitted to sit there; in 1934, the membership had petered out to the point were most of the remaining members joined the Methodist church, which acquired the property. The building was used as a Sunday School until 1966, when it became a private residence.

It was listed for sale in late 2003.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2004 Frank L. Greenagel