The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Cohansey Baptist Church
Roadstown, Cumberland County



There are several fine Georgian churches in south Jersey and this is among the very best—worth a detour to visit. It was built in 1801 and is beautifully maintained. The building is built of brick, and typical of the Georgian style, is symmetrical, with careful attention to detail. The entrances are patterned after designs of Christopher Wren and are similar to those on the Broad Street Presbyterian church in Bridgeton and Old Swedes church in Swedesboro. They are certainly based on one of the several planbooks widely available at the time.
      At the time of the Stamp Act (1765), Cohansey (the name of the large territory before Cumberland County was formed in 1748) was one of the three Jersey ports where a British Customs official was permitted to authorize entry. The first Baptist church in the area was organized in 1683 or 1690; this is the fourth building for this congregation.


 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel