The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Clinton Methodist Episcopal Church
Clinton, Hunterdon County

  

The first Methodist meetings in Clinton were held in homes in 1832 when the circuit rider came to town. By 1839 there were enough people to erect a building on the present site. There are no records to indicate whether it burned or was torn down to make way for this building, which was put up in 1863. The plan is similar to about 15 Methodist, Presbyterian and Reformed churches in the Somerset-Hunterdon area; only the Presbyterian church in Westfield is an earlier exemplar of this particular design.
     Note the Tuscan arch in the steeple, which is common in churches in Hunterdon, but rare elsewhere in the state.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel