The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Clinton Avenue Reformed Church
Newark, Essex County

This fine church on the edge of Lincoln Park was built following the merger of the Clinton Avenue Reformed congregation with the much older First Reformed church. Although it appears in many records as the First Reformed church, chiseled above the main entrance is "Clinton Avenue Reformed Church."
      It was built in 1870, but no longer serves a Reformed congregation. It is now the Iglesia Roca de Salvacion. It's a late Gothic Revival building and the architect was Thomas Roberts, who also designed the Central Presbyterian church in Orange

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel