The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

First Methodist Episcopal Church of Chester
Chester, Morris County

The fine Greek Revival building was erected in Somerset County at Larger Crossroads, now simply an intersection between Far Hills and Lamington, but at one time a hamlet. It was put up by the Baptist Society, but that congregation did not flourish and by 1854 the building had been sold to the Newark Conference of the Methodist church. Presumably there were Methodist meetings there until the building was moved in the winter of 1880-1881 to Chester, where it was to become the First Methodist Episcopal Church. When the congregation built a new building on Main Street, this was used as a school, then sold to the town and it became the municipal offices. It is now the home of the Black River Theater.



 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2004 Frank L. Greenagel