The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Cherryville Baptist Church
Raritan Township, Hunterdon County

In the 18th century, Cherryville was called Dogtown, one of the many colorful names in Hunterdon county. This church was built in 1850 at a crossroads just a few miles west of Flemington, the county seat, where there was, and is, a substantial Baptist congregation. Although the records don’t indicate any remodeling,the fishscale shingles were a common element of buildings dating from the 1870s and 1880s, particularly on grander houses of the era. About this time stained glass windows started to be used in country churches. Both the shingles and the stained glass would have been regarded as too worldly in the 1840s when the Baptists first started to organize a congregation in this area.

 

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel