authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Centerville Methodist Episcopal Church
Readington Township, Hunterdon County
The church was founded in 1869 and built in the same year. Centerville
got its name because it marks the halfway point on the Old York Road
between New York and Philadelphia. The church got its start when the
Methodist leader in Flemington visited to sell books. Religious services
were held in the local schoolhouse until this building, on donated land,
was completed in 1869. The building originally had two front doors.
Methodist services ceased about 1960 and the building was sold to a
non-denomination organization and is now known as the Inspiration Center