authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Church of the Immaculate Conception
Camden, Camden County
Founded in 1855, the early masses were held in private homes and in
the Camden City Hall until the first church was built in 1859. The cornerstone
for this large stone church was laid in 1864. The architect was Jeremiah
O'Rourke, who designed several other Catholic churches in the state.
The steeple was added in 1888. This is the second church for this parish,
and considerably closer to the center of town at Market and Sixth Streets.
It is built of Trenton brownstone with
Connecticut stone trimming in the English decorated Gothic style.