authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Trinity German Evangelical Lutheran Church
Camden, Camden County
Built in 1857, the design of this Gothic Revival building located on
Stevens Street between Broadway and 5th in Camden, is in the tradition
James the Less, built ten years earlier across the river in Philadelphia.
A reader of this site recently identified it as the Trinity German
Lutheran Church, organized in 1857. The bright stone immediately above
the entrance that proclaims,
in German, this to be a
church, but the rest of the inscription is unreadable.
There are many churches in the state with a similar
plan--a bellcote above a rather narrow nave, with buttresses projecting to the
front--including Catholic, Episcopal, and Presbyterian, and done in wood as well
as brick and stone.
The building now houses the New Visions
Community Services of Camden.