The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

First Presbyterian Church
Caldwell, Essex County


Strategically situated at the main intersection of town, the location suggests, accurately, that Caldwell was founded by Presbyterians. The congregation was formed in 1784 and this fine Gothic Revival church was built a hundred years later, in 1874. The architect was James Carpenter. President Grover Cleveland's father was the minister here, and Cleveland spent the first four years of his life in the manse, located just a block from the church on Bloomfield Avenue.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel