The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Baptist Church of Butler
Butler, Morris County

This small church has a couple of interesting features—the small cupola set well back from the front of the building was a convention, both in the shape of the cupola and its placement, in continental European churches, but is not much seen in this country. The shingled exterior above a sort of wainscot is also rather unusal, although it was also an element of the Jacksonville Chapel in Pequannock Township. It was erected by a Baptist congregation which had met in private homes and various halls for six years after its founding in 1892. It now serves an Assembly of God congregation.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2004 Frank L. Greenagel