The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Chapel of the Holy Innocents, Saint Mary's Hall
Burlington, Burlington County



This unassuming chapel marks the beginning of the English Gothic style as the officially-sanctioned one for Anglican churches. It was designed in 1845 after a specific church in England, for which the architect, William Notman, had measured drawings. The steeply-pitched roof, the transept and the tracery in the choir window are among the features that will soon be standard for Episcopal churches.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel