authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Central Methodist Episcopal Church
Bridgeton, Cumberland County
Organized in 1864,
the congregation acquired an odd-shaped site at East Commerce and
Bank streets in 1865 and the following year built
a brick chapel on the rear portion of the lot (it still survives).
In 1889 architects Hazelhurt & Huckel of Philadelphia were engaged
and created a sort-of-Gothic basilica with transept, towers, buttresses
and other doo-dads—an unusual but interesting combination. The
building is too squat and broad to be considered really Gothic in style,
but the asymmetrical design gives it its Victorian Gothic "feel."