The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Central Methodist Episcopal chapel
Bridgeton, Cumberland County




  

 

 

 

 

 

 

This red brick chapel was built in 1866, about 30 years before the adjacent stone church (a small portion of which may be seen in the photo). The congregation was organized in 1842. It has some Gothic elements—the steeply-pitched roofline, the Gothic-arch windows, and the attempt at buttresses on the corners—but we should hesitate before calling it a Gothic building. The false arcade of the cornice is Romanesque in style and the general symmetrical nature is of an earlier period.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2005 Frank L. Greenagel