authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church
Bordentown, Burlington County
Paine lived in Bordentown and "his popularity as a patriot
had predisposed the people to a favorable reception of his antagonisms
to religion," a Philadelphia newspaper wrote of the town's reputation;
"The place was remarkable for its indifference to religion, and
especially for the desecration of the Sabbath.'" Methodist preachers,
sensing perhaps fertile ground, made the town a regular stop on their
circuit, and by 1821, a class was formally organized and a small church
By 1867 the membership had
so expanded as to require a second Methodist church in town, Trinity.
Their first church building was replaced by this Romanesque Revival-influenced
building in 1896, almost at the center of town. The location of the tower this
but by the end of the century, asymmetrical arrangements of traditional
elements has become more-or-less standard for affluent congregations.