authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Boonton, Morris County
This is an interesting building,
than it appears in the photo. Very little of it can be regarded as original,
as the congregation repeatedly enlarged the building, to the side as well as
to the rear. It is essentially a meetinghouse, built in 1859, with later "trimmings." The
congregation was organized in 1832 and in that year moved into a church built
on land given by the New Jersey Iron Company, with which the church had close
ties—company managers were Sunday School Superintendents and Elders of
the church, and apparently required employees to attend a church, although not
necessarily the Presbyterian one.