authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Beverly Presbyterian Church
Beverly, Burlington County
Organized in 1853, the Presbyterians in Beverly met in a small frame
structure that also housed the nascent Episcopal church, until this Gothic
Revival building was erected in 1873. It was described in an 1881 history
as "occupying a most desirable location upon the north side of
Warren Street, just east of the city limits." The significance
of the location, outside the city limits, suggests that the Presbyterians
were not among the earliest settlers of the city, but it might also mean that the fashionable area of "town" was now outside the city limits. In earlier times it would have probably meant that the lot had been donated.