The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Berlin Presbyterian Church
Berlin, Camden County

The former Berlin Presbyterian church, erected in 1868, was purchased perhaps twenty years ago for a Hindu temple. The congregation has transformed the exterior in a manner that makes its purpose unmistakable, and frankly rather startling to a passerby accustomed to seeing only traditional Protestant churches in this area. The original portion of the building does not seem material different from the town's Methodist church, erected ten years earlier.
     There was also a chapel in or near the Berlin cemetery on Clementon Road that the Presbyterians used, but that building has apparently disappeared.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2005 Frank L. Greenagel