authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Methodist Episcopal Church
Belford, Monmouth County
Methodist church in Belford is a large wooden-frame building with
a transept—a large cross-gable about midway back. That is
unusual in a Methodist church, which generally were traditional meetinghouses
or either L-shape or T-shape. The entrance is through a
square tower located at the southwest corner of the building
and has a shed roof. There is a large Gothic-arch window with
etched glass framed with colored panes in the center of the gable end. Another structure—probably for Sunday School and
other meetings has been added to the rear.
The original name was the Port Monmouth
Methodist Episcopal Church but when that portion of Port Monmouth
was split off to form Belford in 1892, the name of the church
was changed to the Belford Methodist Episcopal Church.