The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

click here to order
the book from Amazon.com

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Beemer Meeting House
Wantage Township, Sussex County



The Congregational Church of Wantage and Franklin was organized about 1744 and a log church was erected as a union meetinghouse shortly thereafter. This was the first (and only) Congregational church in the county; it was organized by settlers who came from Connecticut. By the date of its organization, most of the Puritan (Congregational) churches in the state (in Newark, Elizabeth, Shrewsbury, and Woodbridge—all founded by settlers from Connecticut) had already affiliated with the Presbyterian church, but this congregation clung to their New England roots.
     In 1844, the congregation voted to affiliate with the Second Presbyterian Church of Wantage at Beemerville, hence the name by which it is better known, the Beemer Meeting House. This stuccco over stone building was erected in 1835, but it has been altered considerably in later years.

   ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2003 Frank L. Greenagel