authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Atlantic Highlands, Monmouth County
would recognize this large Victorian residence, with its
double porches and elaborate carpentry as a church, but it was the
original Methodist Episcopal church in Atlantic Highlands, erected
in 1882. It stood at First and Mount Street when it was erected;
in 1893 it was moved to its present location. It was converted to
a residence sometime after the congregation built a new church in 1896.
The congregation actually got its start
in 1881 when the Atlantic Highlands
Association was formed to purchase land and plan a camp-meeting
like that of Ocean Grove. Twenty Protestant ministers were
directors, officers and/or shareholders in the Association, which
was formed to “found a summer resort on Christian and
temperance principles . . . with freedom from Sabbath-breaking crowds
and intoxicating liquors.” Three hundred acres were bought,
an amphitheatre and tabernacle were erected, and the camp grounds opened in July of 1880.