authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Arney's Mount Friends Meetinghouse
Arney's Mount, Springfield Township, Burlington County
solid stone building still houses an occasional meeting of Quakers in
the area. It was built in 1775 and is on the National Register of Historic
application for Register status lists Samuel Smith as builder.
There is no village nearby, but several early
meetinghouses were built at a convenient crossroads, more-or-less equidistant
from all members. There is a large burial grounds to the side of this building.
Woodward & Hageman's History of Burlington
County (1883) notes that early meetings in the area were held in a shoolhouse
at Caleb's Corner. It was not until 1776, however, that a Preparative Meeting
was established here. In
1783 there were four Preparative Meetings that composed the Upper Springfield
Freehold, and Upper Springfield.
Each of these had a membership of nearly
two hundred fifty. Arney's Mount Meeting had already been in existence for some
years, as there are records indicating that Friends belonging to the upper part
of the Mount Holly meeting applied for a weekly meeting by 1743.