The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Reformed Church of Annandale
Clinton Township, Hunterdon County

When this church was built in 1868 the village was named Clinton Junction, an important stop on the Jersey Central railroad where“eighteen passenger trains stop each twenty-four hours and the freight and coal trains are innumerable.” About the half the members came from the Reformed church in Lebanon when this congregation was organized in 1861. The prominent Tuscan arch and pointed arch on the steeple can be found on several other churches erected during the same period; in fact, the basic design can be traced to the Presbyterian church in Westfield, which was copied rather closed by more than a dozen churches in west central Jersey.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME
Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel