The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Andover Presbyterian Church
Andover Township, Sussex County

 

Andover Township had four congregations in the nineteenth century (including Baptist, Protestant Methodist, and Methodist Episcopal), but this is the only church remaining that dates to that period. The Presbyterian church was organized in 1858, and the building was completed a year later, with financial support from the Andover Iron Works.
      It is basically a Greek Revival plan, but the heavy brackets, the door surround, and the elongated windows are the result of local options rather than conventional Greek Revival elements.

   ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2004 Frank L. Greenagel