The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Amwell Methodist Episcopal Church ("Old Rocks")
East Amwell Township, Hunterdon County



This stone building was constructed in 1843 by Amwell Methodists, one of more than a dozen erected in Hunterdon county before the Civil War. A multitude of religious revival meetings, generally organized by the Methodists in the first several decades of the 19th century, led to the organization of a number of churches. Many were started with as few as a half-dozen members.
      The two small quarter-round windows in the gable are not uncommon in wooden churches, but somewhat unusual to find in a stone building. The plan is a common one, but very similar to a wooden Methodist church erected in Summerfield (Warren County) about the same time.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel