The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Alloway Methodist Episcopal Church
Alloway Township, Salem County



The Alloway congregation was organized in 1819 and a brick building erected in 1820. This large church was built in 1876. Note the deep pediment, a characteristic of several south Jersey "bank-front" churches built during this period, when most of the state's congregations were putting up asymmetrical Gothic or Romanesque Revival buildings. The tower and belfry are set off to the side of the church, but still within the basic rectangular perimeter instead of as an attached tower— highly unusual. The enclosed entrance portico is undoubtedly a later addition.
Because Methodist churches (especially) hosted a variety of temperance organizations, suffrage meetings, cultural activities and other meetings in addition to their own Sunday school, Bible classes and other groups, the lower floor was often given to meeting rooms, while the auditorium was on the second floor.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel