Allerton Methodist Episcopal church
Clinton Township, Hunterdon County
founded 1821; built 1822; sold 1875; now a residence
This church was founded as a direct result of the circuit-riding Methodist
preachers, it being a regular point on a circuit which consisted of
New Brunswick, Mount Horeb, New Providence, Flanders, Cokesbury, Allerton
and Peapack, an area of more than 700 square miles. This building was
constructed in 1822 on land donated by Peter Aller, an early settler.
In 1875 the building was sold and moved across the road to its present
location. It was replaced by the current
church in 1875.