authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Allenwood, Monmouth County
1857 people near the old pre-Revolutionary War bridge over the
Manasquan River organized a Free church (meaning unaffiliated
with any denomination) and elected trustees as the first step in
building a church, which they proceeded to do. Meetings were held
monthly by the Protestant Methodists, a schismatic sect that split
with the Methodist Episcopal Church on the issue of church governance.
That congregation eventually became known as the Allenwood Church, and it has apparently remained unaffiliated
ever since. It is located in what was known as Chapel Town, and later
as the Glendola section of the township. The current building,
erected in 1895, looks a lot like the Methodist church in Clarksburg, but with a steeper roof line.