The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. Andrews-by-the-Sea Church
Allenhurst, Monmouth County

The Church of St. Andrew is a seasonal Episcopal chapel offering services and a music program to residents and summer visitors. Its three-phased construction began in 1889 when a building committee contracted with William H. Farry of Ocean Grove to “on or before the 25th day of August 1889 well and sufficiently erect and finish the new building at Deal Beach…agreeably to the Drawings and Specifications.” In 1893 the chancel and vestry were added to the east end of the original building, and in 1896 the three-story bell tower was raised. In spite of the extended construction, St. Andrew’s is a very coherent plan. Its profile and general plan are
derived from a design done for an Episcopal church in Elizabeth (Union county) by Richard Upjohn almost 50 years earlier. The church’s construction took place during a period of dramatic change in America, specifically the second stage of the Industrial Revolution and the Gilded Age. It was industrialists and businessmen from New York and Philadelphia who were the drivers of this change; they came to Monmouth County’s seashore,
purchased farmland and converted it into a summer resort for their
      The original chancel flag, a historic forty-five star American flag hangs from the ceiling. The church is the site of the 1,500-pound Anchor Monument lifted from the ocean floor in 1999 near Deal Lake from the “New Era” which was shipwrecked in 1854. The church is located in a New Jersey State Historic District.




Copyright (c) 2005 Frank L. Greenagel